All Saints Episcopal Church was formed in November 1907 as a mission of Parish of the Epiphany, Winchester, MA, the Parish purchased a house on Central Street in Stoneham, MA, renovated and expanded it several times before dedicating the newest sanctuary in 1964, according to the history written by Sandra Conlon for the 100th Anniversary celebrated in 2007.
On Nov. 17 of 1907, parishioners began to meet, not on Central Street, but at 447 Main St., above what was then Slone’s Furniture Store. The parish bought a house on Central Street in August of 1910 for $3,000. After renovating the house, they rented it to a family for just $20 a month and continued meeting at Mechanics Hall and then a room in the Steel Block on the corner of Main Street and Montvale Avenue.
It wasn’t until 1924 that interior structural changes were made and allowed the Central Street property to be developed in a space large enough to hold services.
After All Saints was received into the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts as a parish and its membership continued to grow, the congregation began to consider building a new church which was completed and dedicated in March of 1964. Today, the church property consists of a free-standing church building, the Mission House which contains offices and meeting spaces and a Parish Hall which contains a function hall of about 2,000 sq. ft, three Christian Education classrooms, and a lovely garden, ‘Kelly’s Garden,’ for all of Stoneham and visitors to enjoy.
All Saints is still a warm and welcoming church for people throughout Middlesex County. We pride ourselves on embracing people regardless of where they are on their faith journey, and we are committed to loving our neighbors – gay and straight, families and singles, old and young. We believe both our heritage and our future lies in being a house of worship for everyone who walks in our door.
So what has attracted new members to the church? For the Collins family, Jack, Allain, Grace and Claire, it’s the “welcome without pressure.” The Parish continues its strong commitment to traditional but innovative worship with a strong commitment to preaching the Gospel and liturgies that are appropriate and beautifully crafted.
When Erin Alarcon, a Presbyterian, and her husband, a Roman Catholic, were looking for a church, All Saints’ just “felt like home,” she said.
Today, the Parish continues to demonstrate its love for God through its ministry in Stoneham and its outreach beyond its own walls through ministry such as food donations to local food pantries, monetary collections for local food pantries and Episcopal Relief & Development and giving 10% of its fundraising activities for those in need. The Parish is committed to continued growth, revitalizing its worship and various ministries, a strong commitment to families and children and planning for a future consistent with the Gospel.